This time last year our Florida holiday would have been coming to an end. This morning I sat outside whilst toilet-training Doug wishing we were somewhere equally awesome. The best feeling about being on holiday is feeling so far away from normal day-to-day life. Oh how I wish that was the case right now. Instead, I spent the week on the phone to our mortgage adviser discussing possible repayment plans ugh. This should be an exciting time - but it's really not, it's stressful and my brain can't switch off from "NEED TO FIND A HOUSE" mode.
Time drags on, and 3 weeks from having accepted an offer on our home, we were still no closer to owning our next home. We put an offer above the asking price on an amazing house not too far from here, but unfortunately with the circumstance of the house and it's owner and other complications, two weeks later we still have no reply on it. So, assuming we hadn't got the house, (as after all there were over offers on the table and we had been told one of them was from a cash buyer) we continued looking. But found nothing other than repossessed homes from company sales - which by the way are a NIGHTMARE to try and buy and I can't deal with the stress of that right now! So I phoned up the estate agent of the house we put the offer on to try and find out when we would ever hear a reply. Every time I phone they tell me a different story and everyone I have spoke to says "oh I'm not the one dealing with this particular house" - but it seemed like nobody has been assigned to dealing with this house! Argh. They told me I should hear a response tomorrow.... We shall see I thought. But lo and behold, we did see! Actually it was probably only because I phoned them three times in the space of a few hours demanding answers and specific time-scales. I'm that annoying customer I know - but two weeks to accept or decline an offer is slightly OTT. Anyway, unexpectantly they accepted! Shocked, yet with our never-ending unlucky streak I can't get my hopes up for owning the home of our dreams. Something is sure to go wrong.
As for the sale of our home, well, our solicitors are rubbish, so there's still no news there. Mainly because they don't ever phone me back. But there has been a suggested date for exchange in just over a week.... But so far it's just a suggested date and rubbish solicitors seem to be holding everything back. I suppose it's not a bad thing as we have no where to go anyway! Any purchase we make will take a minimum of 6 weeks. I've started looking at rentals online but my worries are the fact the tenancy are usually 6 months, would anywhere accept a 2 month agreement? I doubt it. We also have two dogs.... No sorry, one dog and one untrained home-demolishing puppy! That's sure to get us a rental. Argh. Our only realistic hope without over-spending on a rental and wasting so much money on fees and deposits you never get back, is to lodge with Grants mum. We'd bought it up in passing a week or so ago, but somehow I think she thought we were joking. So I think a more serious chat is in order when we finally get a proper date. I'm not too sure what our back-up plan is if she says no though!
Here's to the joys of buying and selling your home.